If you focus on principles, you empower everyone who understands those principles to act without constant monitoring, evaluating, correcting, or controlling.
8 Characteristics of Principle Centered Leadership
- Continually Learning - Learn from their experiences
- Service Oriented - Life is a mission
- Positive Energy - Cheerful and optimistic
- Believe in others - See the potential in others and help to achieve
- Lead Balanced Lives - Stay current with social events
- See Life as an Adventure - Savor life
- Synergistic - Creative change agents
- Exercise Self-Renewal - Physical, mental, emotional, spiritual
- Be Proactive
- Begin with the End in Mind
- Put First Things First
- Think Win-Win
- Seek First to Understand and then to be Understood
- Sharpen the Saw
- Shared vision
- Continued learning
- Emotional stability
- Servant leadership
Steven Covey video, Do the Big Rocks First
Covey, S. (2004). Seven Habit of Highly Effective People. New York: Free Press.
fawntb. (2010, July 23). Principle Centered Leadership. Retrieved May 19, 2011, from YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpqYekcr3x8
Marzano, R. J. (2005). School Leadership that Works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.